Amidst the fast pace of today’s world, finding time to unwind and relax has become increasingly more difficult and increasingly more necessary. Lack of effective relaxation time can lead to stress which in turn could result in a lot of other effects on the body system. Here are five tips which would help you relax and function at the highest possible level;
- Organize; To most people 24 hours is not enough for them to accomplish daily task and as such they are always walking a tight rope trying to balance their activities and as well get enough rest, usually the task of resting suffers. Organizing your daily routine and putting in pockets of time when you take a nap and a walk would be very helpful and would improve your overall performance.
- Breathing exercises; After a traumative event our body naturally responds by preparing for the worst, fight or flight, in doing so all the bodily functions are heightened and there is release of stress hormones; cortisone. Breathing exercises helps to relieve stress and panic, and can be done anywhere, it can also be a daily routine.
- Physical exercise; exercising has a lot of benefits one of which is to relieve stress and aid relaxation. Physical exercises stimulates the release of a neurotransmitter; endorphin, this hormone helps to relieve pain and ease stress. Exercise also induced the release of other body chemicals like dopamine, serotonin and adrenaline and regulates their quantity to put your body in the best mood. Progressive muscle relaxation is another routine that helps relieve stress.
- Meditation: This involves taking conscious control of your mind and using that as a means to regulate body functions, like breath, heart rate and also to aid relaxation of the body and mind. Yoga is one form of meditation and can be done anywhere by anyone; whether or not you had prior experience. Biofeedback mechanism is also another means of regulating body functions and controlling stress.
- Stress supplements: There are vitamins and supplements that can be taken and are proven to help reduce stress and anxiety, some act as adaptogens. Example of these are;
- Rhodiola rosea etc.